Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Yes, He Was in Night at the Museum

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/19/a-holiday-message-from-ricky-gervais-why-im-an-atheist/?blog_id=120&post_id=56643


My sister sent me this link and although I still call myself an agnostic, so much of what Gervais states in this piece just makes sense. I'm just not willing to dive into either the belief camp or the non-belief camp.

What I do appreciate is what Gervais points out in the following section, because it should not matter what a person's religious beliefs are, being nice is what we should do whether there is a god or not. I have had friends tell me though, that they felt they would not make "good" choices if they did not have their religious beliefs. Really?

“Do unto others…” is a good rule of thumb. I live by that. Forgiveness is probably the greatest virtue there is. But that’s exactly what it is -­‐ a virtue. Not just a Christian virtue. No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now. It’s knowing that I try to do the right thing. That I lived a good life. And that’s where spirituality really lost its way. When it became a stick to beat people with. “Do this or you’ll burn in hell.”

You won’t burn in hell. But be nice anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment